Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Rules Don't Apply to ME

I know everyone one will envy me when I tell you I had the privilege today of conversing with one of those rare individuals to whom the rules do not apply.

A woman asks me for help with the copier. We don’t own the copiers. They are owned and serviced by another company. And “a man” comes every so often to take all of the dimes accumulated in the machines, even though we, the librarians, are expected to provide the customer service for them. Like all customer service exploits, we are also expected to be “experts.”

I show the woman the complex method of placing the desired page face down on the glass between the two neon pink arrows. But, to complicate an already highly sophisticated procedure, the woman says that she wants to copy onto a brightly colored piece of paper. She holds up the paper.

I explain to her that she won’t be able to do that.

“Well, I do it all the time at home.”

Then why don’t you go home . . . “These machines are owned by another company. The company doesn’t want any other paper going through because of the possibility of it jamming.”

“Well, what would happen if you weren’t here?”

This is the part about the rules not applying.

“Ma’am, there’s nothing I can do about that.”

“Well, then.” But what her eyes say is: “Leave already.”

I start to walk away, and she says (and I quote): “Which tray should I put it in?”

I wish I was one of those lucky individuals to whom the rules didn’t apply.

4 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger Nike said...

I recommend a lock device for your copier trays.
Works wonders for us.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Annoyed Librarian said...

I recommend a lock device for the patron's mouth. Inserting the copier tray in her bottom and choosing the "collate and staple" option might be fun as well.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger libraryann said...

ahhhh, so great to read some real life happenings from a public library. I'm back in school and have missed all that crap for the past year. Your blog rings very true. All the things you love to hate. Thanks!

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Angel, librarian and educator said...

Had that same kind of thing happen here where some gal just decided she was going to open the printers as she saw fit because "hey, I did it before." Ay caramba.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home